List of terms (1880)
|Part of the series on|
Battlestar Galactica Terminology
Both Colonials and Cylonics employ a distinct nomenclature of military jargon, colloquialisms, sayings, and technical terms to create a culture distinctly "alien" to the audience, but transposing a "steampunk" flavor and sensibility.
This article serves to organize and summarize this terminology, leading to different articles if the term needs to be further expanded upon.
Honorifics and Ranks
- Honorifics and titles are organized based on rank position, and not alphabetically. Some ranks and honorifics may be equal under certain conditions.
- Colonial Empire
- Archduke: A title of nobility, just a step or two beneath the top-most level of leadership nobility. Example: Adama.
- Crown Prince/Prince: A title of nobility, ascribed typically to the son of an archduke. Example: Apollo.
- Fleet Admiral: A military title of someone who leads a fleet. Example: Tigh.
- Lady: A title of nobility, subordinate to an archduke. Example: Athena.
- Admiral: A military rank. The commanding officer aboard the aethership Atlantia held this rank.
- Lord: A title of nobility. Example: Lord Cain of Pegasus.
- Count: A title of nobility. Example: Count Iblis.
- Flight-Commander: Military rank of a flier.
- Flight-Lieutenant: A military rank of a flier. Example: Starbuck.
- Lieutenant: A military rank. Example: Jolly.
- Cylonic Empire
- felgercarb: Expletive, similar to "crap."
- frack: Expletive, similar to "shit."
- galmonging: Expletive, possibly similar to "asshole" or "God damned."
- aether: Outer space.
- aetherdrive: Interstellar drive.
- aetherprison: Prison transport, e.g. Proteus.
- aethership: Vessel operating in the aether.
- babbage: Computer. One such babbage is Lu-c-fer.
- bubbleship: Vessel that operates in the aether. Lady Athena has such a ship.
- cavorite: Material used in the hulls of aetherships, as well as thrusters.
- clockwork: Used to describe the mechanical operation of Cylonic Knights, as dictated by the use of springs, gear trains, like that of a clock. (See: Clockwork.)
- Cylonic: Name of the robotic creations of Professor Baltar.
- plexi-crystal: Transparent material used in the creation of Viper canopies.
- punchcard: Means to program instructions into machinery, typically featuring holes that are punched into a card. (See: Punchcard.)
- Quorum: Leadership body of the Twelve Colonies.
- solium: Fuel used by aetherships.
- solium core: Reactor of aetherships.
- solium drive: Engine of aetherships.
- tylium: Fuel used by the "hearts" of the Cylonic Knights.
- Viper: One-man fighter ship of the Colonial Empire.
- Warrior: Soldier of the Colonial Empire.
- "By whrrr command": A Cylonic response to accepting an order.
- Term introduced in Steampunk Battlestar Galactica 1880 1.
- Term introduced in Steampunk Battlestar Galactica 1880 2.
- "Babbage" is named after Charles Babbage, whose designs for the Analytical Engine were the first instance of a computer, even though it was not built until much later.
- "Cavorite" is the fictional substance with effects that defy gravity, named for the material created by the fictional Mr. Cavor from H. G. Wells The First Men in the Moon. See: gravitational shielding.