Zee as portrayed by Robbie Rist.
|Introduced||Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I|
|Parents||Angela, godson of Starbuck|
|Role||Advisor to Commander Adama|
|Portrayed by||Robbie Rist and Patrick Stuart|
|Doctor Zee is a Cylon|
|Doctor Zee is a Final Five Cylon|
|Doctor Zee is a Human/Cylon Hybrid|
|Doctor Zee is an Original Series Cylon|
|Doctor Zee in the separate continuity|
Zee as portrayed by James Patrick Stuart.
When introduced, Adama claims that Zee is one of the many Colonial children born in space, but is a "cerebral mutation". Due to this, this youth becomes a scientific advisor who has great influence on Commander Adama and the Council of Twelve, having saved them from their enemy "countless times in the past" (1980: "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I"). Additionally, the Council has never overruled him due to his penchant for always knowing the correct course of action (1980: "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part II").
Zee convinces Adama not to attempt contact with the newly-discovered descendants of the Thirteenth Tribe, as the nations of Earth are not unified and are ill equipped to resist the Cylons should they follow the Fleet to Earth's solar system.
Zee creates most of the special devices used by Colonial Warriors Troy and Dillon, including the invisibility screen (1980: "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I"), an anti-gravity craft that resembles a UFO (1980: "Space Croppers"), and a method of time travel first employed by Xaviar (1980: "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part II").
Zee is an expert on any topic he is consulted on from sociology, to history to agriculture.
Not everyone in the Fleet is comfortable with so much authority having been given to a boy, and Xaviar expressed this view from time to time.
While on that remote moon, Starbuck was visited by Angela, who may have been from the race of Angels. Angela gave birth to Zee, and Starbuck sent Angela and Zee off to rendezvous with the Fleet in a small escape pod that was too small to carry him.
- Doctor Zee is a recurring character in the short lived science fiction series Galactica 1980.
- The role of Doctor Zee is portrayed by two actors. In the three-hour series premiere, "Galactica Discovers Earth". Zee is portrayed by actor Robbie Rist, known also as cousin Oliver in the Brady Bunch (working with fellow Galactica 1980 guest star Robert Reed).
- The glasses won by Rist's Zee are not worn by Stuart's Zee.
- When Galactica 1980 was picked up as a continuing series, another actor, Patrick Stuart, took on the role. Stuart appears in the subsequent episodes including "The Super Scouts, Part I" and "The Super Scouts, Part II".
- In the May 1980 issue of Starlog magazine, Robbie Rist provides some background to the character of Dr. Zee. Zee is supposed to be so advanced that he is "above emotion." Rist also mentions that the lighting on the set played an important part in the visual characterization of the character, with an aura of light cast around Zee to give him a surreal appearance. Rist also indicated he contributed some small physical aspects to Dr. Zee's character including the crossing of his legs when he's sitting, and the pressing of his fingers together in a pyramid when Zee is thinking.
- In the Galactica Discovers Earth novelization, he is noted as being 14 years old. The language educator is among the technologies that Zee has created.